Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Interview with Shari Lyle-Soffe, Storytelling Genius

This interview I conducted with Shari was wonderful. I could tell that she truly loves what she does. Well, just see for yourself:

1. Give our readers a brief introduction. Who are you?

I am a mother of two and grandmother of four. My husband and I are animal lovers. We live in the woods in Southern Oregon where we feed the birds and leave the windfall apples for the deer and other critters that visit our property. We share our home with a cat named Amber, and a dog named Dallas.

2. How did you begin writing children's books?

I started by writing for children's magazines. In the beginning I tried everything. I wrote poems, short stories, puzzles, recipes and craft instructions. I had work published in most of the well known children's magazines. Then I decided to concentrate on children's books.

3. What made you come up with raccoons as subject matter?

As a child I lived in the redwoods of Northern California. Two raccoons visited our back porch every night. I loved watching them.

4. Did you know that some liken you to the greats of yesteryear? How does that make you feel?

Wow! I am flattered. Humble.

5. Give them a teaser, something that'll make them want to come back for the last day. Just anything you want to say.

Although the raccoons on our back porch inspired me to write about brother raccoons, you will be surprised to learn what inspired the stories. But we'll save that for another day.

Tomorrow, Chloe conducts her own interview. Don't miss it!

2 comments:

Magic Carpet of 16x Books said...

Great Culpepper Family Interview.
Shari's Rooter and Snuffle books are just delightful - kid friendly too.

Wonderful to see you giving Shari the (raccoon) kudos she deserves.

Margot Finke - a Rooter & Snuffle fan.

My Writing Experience said...

Great interview. I believe I'm just into this now because I'm pregnant again, with twins this time.